Saturday, May 15, 2010

Omni-Dilemma for you, Brian

It’s sad. I went on Brian’s blog to see if he had left anything prior to the accident about what to write about on Omnivore’s dilemma, and it says “too be announced”….. I guess that just means I get to run rampant and wild about Pollan! Parttttayyyyyy.

I think what I enjoyed most about this book was how balanced Pollan’s argument was. I do not think the way in which we will make a change with citizens of the United States about their eating habits, is by criticizing and giving an ultimatum. Not everyone is willing to give up their meat, or become a vegan. That simply is an unrealistic goal. I feel like Pollan strives to address every side of the argument about the food industry making this book a good read for any person, of any view point.

I have to say my favorite concept of the book is how Salatin’s method for slaughtering chickens is seemed uncleanly by the Feds, but in reality Salatin is incredibly right: the clean air is the best means for slaughtering animals. The fact that Pollan was unable to even enter a slaughter floor goes to show how unethical and dirty it is. I can’t even imagine the stench or grotesque pictures one would encounter by going onto that floor.

Reading this book simply opened up my eyes to a new level of corruption within American society. While, and after reading OD, all I could say was how crappy the United States and how corrupt we are. However, I needed to remember and take a few steps back. Each society has their own issues and think of it this way: would you rather be starving because there is a lack of food availability like all those who suffer in places like Darfur, or would you rather live in this OBESE society? Think about that and don’t tell me there is something wrong with this picture, and some of the radical ideas of Americans. Don’t get me wrong, I am COMPLETELY acknowledge that yes there is an issue in the United States with our food industry, but thought I’d be like Brian and try to look at an argument from all sides. He was the one to always do that after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment