Sunday, May 16, 2010

This Pretty Package of Paper is Gonna be Tedious...

And the process beings. I have been looking for recipes online and began formatting my project. Not going to lie, I am really excited about doing this project because when I went home I bought a bunch of pretty construction paper, stickers, and pretty paper for my front cover. I’m not going hard core for Brian or anything… Nope not at all! J

Looking for inspiration and recipes online actually is a VERY tedious job. I sat on my computer for a solid 2 hours and I only got though finding and organizing my recipes for spring. If this isn’t dedication in the name of Brian Ellis I don’t know what is. Secretly though, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I cannot wait to have a complete sustainable menu for spring, summer, fall, and winter. I am definitely going to try out some of these recipes this summer.

The more I research the more readily available I realize it is to find recipes that are applicable to a sustainable diet. We do not realize the amount of canned and processed foods that contribute to many recipes, but by substituting those out for fresh vegetables (such as canned tomatoes vs. fresh tomatoes) we can successfully cook sustainably. By focusing recipes around seasonal produce, one can easily find recipes which have more similar seasonal ingredients. I came to find that often times Italian or Mediterranean fused recipes call for a lot more fresh vegetables than those of the Asian culture for example. There are a lot more packaged sauces that are commonly used in Asian food ( I have definitely seen it in my mom’s cooking), in comparison to Mediterranean food which relies on the flavors of the fresh ingredients to give life to a recipe.

I was really enthusiastic about cooking before, but now I am even more excited about having the opportunity to cook. There are so many alternatives to eating unsustainably, and frankly I’m sure the food tastes and is A LOT better for you too.

My goal now that my cookbook recipes are basically all orderly, I can begin preparing what I am going to say for my presentation, and paste all the pages on the pretty paper I bought! Oh man, this brings me back to the days of arts and crafts. I’m excited! J

1 comment: